Spiritual (by jamescharlick)
The origins of Peterborough Cathedral can be traced back to King Peada of the Middle Angles who founded the first monastery on the site in 655AD. The monastic settlement was almost entirely destroyed by the Vikings in 870 and rebuilt as a Benedictine Abbey between 960 and 970. The Abbey church then survived Hereward the Wake’s attack on the Abbey in 1069, and remained intact until an accidental fire destroyed the second Abbey here in 1116. It was rebuilt in its present form between 1118 and 1238. It became the Cathedral of the new Diocese of Peterborough in 1541 and it is now known as the Cathedral Church of St Peter, St Paul and St Andrew.
An extensive building program around 1500 included extending the East End of the church. This ‘New Building’ is an excellent example of late Perpendicular work with fine Fan Vaulting, in which the ribs are all of the same curve and spaced equidistantly in a manner resembling a fan, probably designed by John Wastell, who went on to work on Kings College Chapel in Cambridge.